wHO WE ARE
Founded in 1998, the National Principals Leadership Institute is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) dedicated to leadership development and school transformation. It has conducted 20 internationally acclaimed Summer Institutes, affecting more than 3,500 educational leaders (and 3.5 million students) from across the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, China, Denmark, England, Finland, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa.
View a history of NPLI, our themes and presenters through the years.
NPLI is highly acclaimed for its Six-day Summer Institute, which participants describe as inspirational, meaningful, and transformational. Typically, little time is set aside in schools to debate and discuss why educators do what they do. So, NPLI provides the opportunity to look at the “big picture” with themes such as Finding The Courage To Make The Difficult Decisions. At the same time, principals formulate practical strategies to take home.
NPLI and its internationally recognized program has been conducted for 20 years.
The American dream is built on the idea that this nation provides limitless opportunities to be successful. America is the place where "it is always morning." Here, education is the equalizer. However, that concept is built on the huge assumption that schools are doing the job that needs to be done. Many, perhaps most, are not. Moreover, schools will not become beacons of hope and bridges to success without effective leadership. Because leaders "make the difference" NPLI has assumed the mandate of developing & supporting change leaders.
- Michael Carrigan
- Sam Cooperman
- Michael Hinijosa
- Larry Leverett
- Jake Michelman
- Josh Morreale
- Johnnie Roebuck
- Mark Weiss
- Rosetta Wilson
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Duane Brothers, Superintendent, Louis Riel School Division, Manitoba, Canada
- Jann Coles, Chief Program Officer, NPLI
- Romules Durant, Superintendent of Toledo Public Schools
- Aaron Graham, Chair Emeritus
- Michele Hancock, Consultant School Change
- Peg Harrington, Chair NPLI Board
- Thomas Howard, Executive Director, Boys & Girls Harbor
- Consuelo Kickbusch, CEO, Education Achievement Services
- Robin Shahani, Managing Director, TD Ameritrade
- Lew Smith, Founder & CEO NPLI
- Fred Stokley, Former Supt. LA, MA, NJ, Chair Emeritus