wHO WE ARE
Founded in 1998, the National Principals Leadership Institute is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) dedicated to leadership development and school transformation. It has conducted 20 internationally acclaimed Summer Institutes, affecting more than 3,500 educational leaders (and 3.5 million students) from across the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, China, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa.
View a history of NPLI, our themes and presenters through the years.
NPLI is highly acclaimed for its six-day Summer Institute which is described as inspirational and transformational. The Institutes provide a focus on "big picture" issues such as measuring success, equity, obstacles to change, and defining the purpose of school. Typically, time is infrequently set aside to reflect, debate and discuss why we are doing what we are doing. At the same time, principals formulate practical strategies to take home.
NPLI and its internationally recognized program has been conducted for 20 years.
The American dream is built on the idea that this nation provides limitless opportunities to be successful. America is the place where "it is always morning." Here, education is the equalizer. However, that concept is built on the huge assumption that schools are doing the job that needs to be done. Many, perhaps most, are not. Moreover, schools will not become beacons of hope and bridges to success without effective leadership. Because leaders "make the difference" NPLI has assumed the mandate of developing & supporting change leader.
- Michael Carrigan
- Sam Cooperman
- Michael Hinijosa
- Larry Leverett
- Jake Michelman
- Josh Mooreale
- Johnnie Roebuck
- Mark Weiss
- Rosetta Wilson
Serving on the NPLI board are:
- Duane Brothers, Superintendent, Louis Riel School Division, Manitoba, Canada
- Jann Coles, Chief Program Officer, NPLI
- Romules Durant, Superintendent of Toledo Public Schools
- Aaron Graham, Chair Emeritus
- Michele Hancock, Consultant School Change
- Peg Harrington, Chair NPLI Board
- Thomas Howard, Executive Director, Boys & Girls Harbor
- Consuelo Kickbusch, CEO, Education Achievement Services
- Robin Shahani, Managing Director, TD Ameritrade
- Lew Smith, Founder & CEO NPLI
- Fred Stokley, Former Supt. LA, MA, NJ, Chair Emeritus